Land and Engineering Surveying
All engineering and infrastructure projects highly relies on engineering surveys as critical inputs for projects initial feasibility studies, scoping and final detailed designs and costing for construction works. Engineering surveys are very useful to determine the requirements for the intended development and the relationship with other existing infrastructures.
We support organisations with professional surveys services that help them carry out detailed designs for construction projects, pipelines,route developments, road infrastructure development, sewerage systems, drainage systems.
Regardless of size and scope, engineering survey deliverables helps in estimating cost, project period, equipments, and workforce required before actual construction phase begins.
Our Surveying services include:
Control Networks, Setting Out, Site Engineering, Topographical Surveys, Structural Monitoring Services, 3D Laser Scanning, As-built Surveys, Measured Building Surveys (elevations, sections and floor plans), Dimensional Control, Volume Calculations, GPR Scanning, Utility Surveys, Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) and Structural Steel Surveys.
Topographical surveys play a crucial role in determining opportunities, assessing unpredictable issues and enabling a thorough plan when undergoing any project on a building or area of land.
Topographic surveys, also known as contour surveys, is a key requirements that support development for real estate transactions, civil engineering design and construction projects, including;
- Proposed infastruture construction
- Remodeling projects to existing structures
- Utility design
- Road network or bridge design or improvements
- Grading or drainage projects
It’s a survey that presents locations and marks for construction activities; the process of executing evaluation and estimation prior to or during construction activities. It is carried out to layout engineering and construction works. Measurements are done for reference points which determine the location of the planned structure or improvements, vertical and horizontal positioning, dimensions, configuration, and to control the elevation of the new structures.
The purpose of construction survey is to maintain and establish the necessary vertical and horizontal control key for a construction project. the survey measurements are done to ascertain quantities, and then put these measurements in documentation to corroborate the final payments made to the contractor.
Construction surveys activties involves;
- Gathering of the Design Data,layouts which include project plans in digital and hard copies
- Identification and interpretation of control data
- Review of alignments (Vertical and Horizontal)
- Survey fieldwork for recovery of existing vertical and horizontal control
- Augmentation and replacement of control stations that are necessary to control the construction project.
- Performing random checks of the vertical and horizontal control network
- Undertaking utility relocation surveys before and during contruction activties.
Setting out is the reverse of surveying process. The process involves fixing positions and levels of building lines,property boundaries,designed layouts and road alignments shown on the construction plans ,archictectural plans,designed drawings to be established on the ground by various survey techniques and instruments.
Spatialmaps has experience offering Setting out surveys ranging from;
- Setting out buildings,design alignments/layouts by coordinates
- Checking verticality through vertical alignment surveys.
- Setting out and alignment in steel framed buildings
- Alignment and verticality in form work
- Control and calculation for route surveying
3D laser scanners use light and radar (LIDAR) to measure and record precise locations and distances to produce a point cloud file. The technology enables you to produce highly accurate digital measurements and images quickly and easily for use throughout the project phase and structure lifecycle.
3D laser scanning and survey provides highly detailed and accurate data for design, construction and re-construction projects.
Some of the key deliverables in most 3D scanning projects include;
- 3D models – BIM, DWG, Revit, 3D topographic surveys
- Mesh Models
- Coloured Point clouds
- 2D deliverables – Plans, Sections, Elevations, Topographic Survey
A measured building survey is the collection of measured data to enable the surveyor to be able to produce plans, elevations or sectional drawings of a building. Measured data can be delivered as two dimensional drawings but more commonly three dimensional ‘BIM ready’ solid or wireframe models are the requested deliverables.
Measured building surveys may be required for the following applications:
- Sale, acquisition, letting or land registry
- Valuation or taxation
- Facilities management or services layout
- Redevelopment, alterations or structural changes
- Health & safety, e.g. fire plan layout
- Interior design layout
- Licensing requirements
- Modelling, visualization
- Rights of light, party wall issues.
How measured building the survey is undertaken and the choice of equipment required is determined by the nature of the building and the scope of the planned work.Most of these surveys may require externall control that may be provided using Total Station which is adequate for surveying internal and external sections coupled with 3D Scanner.
Data captured in these surveys is utilised in the production of 3D or 3D-BIM ready models will typically be captured in 3D and kept in 3D. Terrestrial laser scanners capture the space as a 3D point cloud, this data can then be translated directly into a 3D model.
Utility Mapping Surveys are carried out prior to ground investigation, boreholes, trial pits and other construction works, confirms the presence or absence of underground utilities before breaking ground or sub surface investigation.
An underground utility survey, using both the latest electromagnetic and GPR equipment, enables the client to obtain an accurate survey of all buried utility services
We undertake utility surveys that support location and mapping utilities and other underground elements for new commercial, residential and industrial developments. We deploy advanced and innovative surveys equipment such as ground penetrating radar systems to discover any undergournd elements for relocation surveys and mapping.
Scan to BIM helps create as-built BIM Models for retrofit, refurbishment and renovation projects.and enables the creation of as-built BIM models for the renovation work of infrastructure assets such as tunnels and bridges.
Some of the main application of scan to BIM includes;
- Scan to BIM helps create as-built BIM Models for retrofit, refurbishment and renovation projects.
- It enables the creation of as-built BIM models for the renovation work of infrastructure assets such as tunnels and bridges.
- It is used to create as-built BIM models for MEP services that help the managers provide early clash detection alerts.
- It enhances the creation of intelligent BIM model in Revit by providing accurate point cloud data to the clients.
- It helps measure points within the scan to find true dimensions quickly.
Spatialmaps continues to explore new technology benefits offered by BIM allowing our clients to get the best BIM services.
- 3D Revit BIM
- Architectural BIM services
- Structural BIM services
- 3D design construction
- 3D visualization
Spatialmaps uses latest GNSS/GPS survey equipments to support a number of our control surveys and engineering survey tasks.The of static and RTK GNSS survey has enahance ability of field teams to rapidly undertake most surveys and deliver accurate data for most project reducing field staff times.
We operate modern GNSS equipments that track GPS ,GLONAS and Beidou signals allowing field surveys to continue uninterupted.We have also integrated our GNSS surveys within exising Global and local CORS services allowing single rover precise surveys to be undertaken more effectively and efficiently.
Deploying GNSS in our survey activties;
We have extensively used GNSS/GPS to undertake surveys covering
- Undertaking static survey control observations and extension of survey control network for roads,dams,water supply projects,sewerage and sanitation projects.
- Undertaking detailed corridor surveys for large road and water infastructure and utility projects within shorter durations compared to total station surveys.
- Deploying GNSS/GPS in boundary surveys and legal boundary demacartion and dispute resolutions.
Mainly involves survey of existing site infrastructure and improvements to obtain dimensional and vertical data, so that constructed improvements may be located and delineated.
Why conduct as-built surveys?
- Help to determine that all improvements on a site were constructed in compliance with the specifications as outlined on the engineering design drawings.
- Necessary to obtain a certificate of occupancy from local governments.
- Recording the actual build position and/or the release of retention
- As-built surveys record the variations/deviations to key elements of a structure i.e. structural slab levels, lift thresholds, column positions e.t.c.